Book Donation Guidelines
For over 50 years, friends of the library have raised substantial money by selling donated books. Now held in the gym at the West Tisbury School, the annual sale is a four-day event that recycles over 20,000 books a year. All these readers help raise about $20,000 each summer to support library needs.
Many dedicated buyers arrange their summer schedule to include the sale, held at the end of July or early August. The organization of the sale, which is so often lauded by patrons, is thanks to over 30 volunteers who work for the month of July sorting and pricing donations.
This successful fund-raiser is only possible because the Friends receive year-around book donations, dropped off at the sheds (between the tennis courts and the school building) at the West Tisbury School, on Old County Road. THE DONATION SLOT IS CLEARLY MARKED.
The Friends appreciate your book sale donations! Thank you for your support of our library.
GUIDELINES FOR BOOK DONATIONS
CLEAN, INTACT COPIES-NO MOLD, MILDEW, MISSING COVERS OR WATER STAINS
- TRAVEL BOOKS NO MORE THAN THREE YEARS OLD
- WE CAN NOT ACCEPT: TEXTBOOKS, BIBLES, MAGAZINES, PHONE BOOKS
THANK YOU FOR FOLOWING THESE GUIDELINES. WHEN WE HAVE TO RECYCLE DONATIONS BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT SELL, THE FRIENDS HAVE LESS MONEY TO SUPPORT THE WEST TISBURY LIBRARY.
- Small quantities – can always be dropped off at the sheds at the West Tisbury Elementary school.
- Multiple bags or boxes – Volunteers are usually at the sheds after 2 pm, Monday – Friday (weather permitting).
- Large quantities – Please call the library at 508-693-3366 to set up a time to drop off at the sheds.
Look for newspaper advertisements, or check back on this website after February, for specific sale dates. The weekend chosen is dependent on the school calendar and varies slightly each year.